Thursday, October 09, 2003

Bad news

It's so hard to hear bad news, it's so hard to know what to say to comfort a person who is dealing with the suffering/hardship. My heart always goes out to the person who is going through the hardship, but there was never once that I knew what to say to the person. I think the worst feeling about bad news is that I feel so helpless, and I don't know what to do. I try to imagine what it would be like if I were in the person's situation, but it doesn't seem to help because everyone goes through hardships differently, and there is no universal way to comfort everyone. So I conclude that the only helpful and useful thing to do when I hear bad news is to PRAY. There's nothing that I can do? God can do EVERYTHING. Don't know what to say? Jesus has all the comforting words to say to the person. PRAY PRAY PRAY. This sounds like praying is the last resort, but in fact, praying is the most POWERFUL thing that we can do, and it should be the FIRST thing that we do when we hear bad news.

Lord Jesus, I don't know how to pray, but I know that you will understand what i want to say, and you're listening. I pray that you will comfort the people who are suffering right now, whether from sickness, from family death, from famine, from natural disasters, from war, from persecution, I pray that your healing hand will be upon them, and I pray that they will come to experience you through this hardship, and draw on your strength and power. May your peace be with these people tonight, and I pray that you will give them an extra big hug now. In your name I pray, Amen.