Friday, July 30, 2004

grace

Yesterday I went fishing with two very good friends. Since they know that I am still a "poor student", they basically paid all the expenses of the trip and all I needed to do was to sit on a boat and fish. I didn't even need to drive. What an awesome treat!!! =) Fishing trips are so awesome. I love the scenery we get to enjoy during our ride to and from the lake. I enjoy the serenity and calmness while fishing on the lake. I love the quality time I can spend with my friends on the trip. I love the feeling of catching a fish, no matter how small it is. I love the sunset, love the breeze and water splashes coming from the lake while the boat is moving across the water...it's all the more fun when you are fishing with people who know how to fish, and funny people who always look at things on the positive side of the coin.

Lately I have been very blessed to have wonderful friends around me who are always happy to treat me. However, I often feel bad after being treated, and this destroys the treat. The meaning of the treat is for me to feel happy, but I often feel bad, and that I don't "deserve" to have so many treats showered on me.

No wonder it was so hard for Peter to let Jesus wash his feet. I find it harder to let people wash my feet than to wash other people's feet. Why is it so hard? I think it's because accepting grace requires a certain amount of humility. You have too feel that you "need" the grace in order to receive it. In a way you are in a "lower" position for you to be treated. Receiving God's grace requires a certain amount of humility as well. Grace is given, not earned. In other words you may not deserve it, but it's still given. We need to acknowledge our "neediness" before we are ready to accept grace from God, grace from others.