Monday, June 07, 2004

Horror stories

Working with clients who have mental health illnesses has been more challenging than I thought it would be. I knew that being the person I am, I would be "in danger" of feeling too much for these clients when I know about their life and their past. I've tried not to bring any work home for the past 5 weeks so that I wouldn't have to think about my clients when I get home.

Today during an assessment, I learned about some really horrible experiences that a client has gone through in the past. I am not a big fan of horror movies, but at least when I watch a horror movie I can distant myself from the movie and tell myself that it's not real. When I work with these clients, I can't tell myself that the "stories" that I am hearing is not real, coz it is! This makes it difficult for me to distant myself from their stories, and I end up feeling sad for them.

Seeing these clients everyday stops me from complaining, coz really, I am very fortunate and blessed to have parents who love me, friends who care and most importantly, a God who died for me and loves me unconditionally. I am among the 1% of the world's population who have university education. What more can I ask for?

Wow...I hope I didn't bombard you guys with too much of my emotions! =P Now...let's get back to the Stanley Cup Final...