Saturday, June 19, 2004

I only asked for a bird...

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" Matthew 7:7-10

I went hiking on the Laurier Woods Trail today...kinda disappointed because it wasn't as nice a trail as the Education Trail behind Nipissing University. Nevertheless it was fun hiking in the woods, seeing squirrels running around and hearing birds chirping. It's weird how I couldn't see any birds on the trees, but could hear them chirping love songs to each other...so I prayed, and I asked that God would let me see one creature close up, coz I didn't see any on the trail. I was hoping to see a bird close up, but didn't. The day went on, and since this is my last weekend here in North Bay, I decided to visit the Waterfront and catch the sunset. As I was walking along the path beside Lake Nipissing, I saw a whole bunch of people with their telescopes. The sign read: "North Bay Astronomy Club--Public Viewing Session". I thought, wow, that's gotta be interesting! So I went into the crowd, at first a little nervous since I didn't know anyone there, but soon after I walked into the crowd a man asked me if I wanted to take a look into his telescope. So I looked into it, and there I saw the moon. It was the NEATEST thing coz I can actually see the rough surface of the moon. Then they all switched their focus of the telescopes to Jupiter. Wow...that was AWESOME too! I got to see Jupiter and its 4 moons...and the 3 bands on Jupiter as well...I was IN AWE to see all that...and the people there were so friendly to show me what they have in their telescopes.

As I was leaving those people to catch my bus, I realized that God has answered my prayer, but not in the exact same way I wanted it to be answered. It's interesting that God didn't give me something that I have prayed for, but gave me something way better. What a great way to be reminded that my Heavenly Father knows exactly what I need...He may not give me what I ask for, but will always give me something better. Not the second best, but the best.