Sunday, February 01, 2004

Wheelchair ride

It was definitely an eye opener for me to be in a wheelchair today, and I would never have imagined how different it would be to view things from a vantage point so much lower than everyone else. Today I was working on a group project, and part of the project requires us to move around with a wheelchair, go into a bathroom cubicle on our own, photocopy pages from a textbook, go up and down a curb and a ramp...I had no idea how hard each task was. It takes a lot of upper body strength to manoever the chair properly and to go in and out of places on your own. One experience that really struck me was going on the elevator in my wheelchair. To get to the library, I had to take the elevator up a floor. It was hard for me to go into the elevator backwards, then as I looked around in the elevator, everyone else seemed so much taller than I was. Even though they were just looking at me normally like they would look at other people, I felt like they were staring at me, which was a very strange feeling! Being in a wheelchair made me feel so much lower than other people, and I couldn't reach half of the things that were around me. I can't imagine how many obstacles and barriers a person in a wheelchair has to go through everyday!