Thursday, November 20, 2003

Losing control

I had an interesting day today. I met a person who had her arm amputated. She's a great person, very nice, very easy to talk to, and she is very satisfied with her life despite of the loss of her arm. She is very independent, and she manages to do a lot of things on her own. She does all sorts of sports and is studying and working at the same time. We chatted for a long time, and she told me that she feels good about being independent, but she fears that one day she won't be, and she said that she would hate to depend on other people.

This is such a true fear for most of the people in the society now. Everyone wants to be in control. Once we lose control, we feel unsafe...this is one reason why being a Christian sounds so weird to non-believers. "To trust in God? To submit to His will? I don't want someone else to be in control of my life!" However, when I sit down and think about it, I am actually glad that I am not in control. What else can be better when the Creator of my life, who knows exactly what's the best for me, to be in control of my life? "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD , "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 Just like when I travel on a plane, I don't want to be in control coz I know nothing about operating a plane. I want an experienced pilot to be in control. It doesn't help if I go into the cockpit and start messing with all the colourful switches. This is the hardest part, and it's human nature to go into the cockpit and attempt to gain some sort of control. God is telling me at this point of my life: "Jacqueline, exit the cockpit, sit back and relax on the seat. I am in control. Don't worry, as long as I am in control, you will fly safely and reach your destination."

I'm giving you my heart, and all that is within
I lay it all down, for the sake of You my King
I'm giving you my dreams, I'm laying down my rights
I'm giving up my pride, for the promise of new life

And I surrender
All to You, all to You

I'm singing You this song, I'm waiting at the cross
And all the world holds dear, I count it all as loss
For the sake of knowing You, for the glory of Your name
To know the lasting joy, even sharing in your pain

And I surrender
All to You, all to You