Sunday, February 13, 2005

after Hitch

Before I start blogging about my thoughts, I need to say this: I LOST MY FAVOURITE TRAVEL MUG!!! =( It disappeared from the side pocket of my backpack on my way to Starbucks for a studying session. =(

Anyway, back to the main topic of this blog. I went to see Hitch with a friend today. I am not a big Will Smith fan, but if you want to laugh your head off, Hitch will do that for you. =) It's definitely a good break from my busy school week. Just to make sure I don't spoil the fun for those of you who hasn't seen the movie but are planning to see it, I won't tell you too much about the movie...but basically Will Smith is a "date doctor" in the movie, trying to help guys capture the heart of their dream girl within the first three dates. Will Smith ended up trying his own philosophy on himself. Anyway...the movie brought up something that I thought would be interesting for me to blog here.

It seems like everyone wants and expects honesty from the people around them, especially from their closer ones. However it seems like honesty is something that we expect others to have, but we may not necessarily be honest ourselves. It's OK for us to tell a white lie because we don't want to hurt other people's feelings; but it's not OK if someone is lying when he/she tells us that we had a good haircut because he/she doesn't want to hurt our feelings. It seems as if we all have double standards. I am known as the "gullible" one among my friends. If you tell me that the phone booth you're in is broken and you're carrying the huge phone just to talk to me, I'll believe it. I admit that I trust people too easily, but I wish I can always trust people with all my heart without worrying about being "gullible". I really wish I can be "gullible" all the time. Afterall, are relationships based on learning how to doubt? Relationships are all about trust, as many of you would agree. So why on earth do we need to learn to be less "gullible" when we are expecting others to be honest with us?

I wish I don't have to learn to be less "gullible"...and I really wish that being "gullible" is a good thing. Too bad in this world it isn't...