Sunday, March 28, 2004

Beside the train tracks...

I went to a banquet at my church tonight, and I had a chance to see some pictures of the urban poor in the Philippines. A lot of the houses are built right next to the train tracks. The kids would play on the tracks, and run away when the train arrives. What a dangerous and noisy place to live in!!! Their houses are all built from moldy wood and metal plates, and they look like they can fall apart anytime in the picture. Some houses are built along a polluted canal where it smells like rotten garbage all the time. I can't imagine myself living in this kind of living conditions...and once again I realize how fortunate I am living in a North American country, with university education and a computer to type out my thoughts. It would be so easy for me to stay in my "comfort zone", but I know this is not God's plan for me. And I wonder: would I be willing to live in such conditions if this is where God calls me to serve Him? I think I will be willing, but it will be very challenging.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth."
-Matthew 5:3-5